Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013

Report of an Injury


About you and your organisation

Only 'responsible persons' including employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises should submit reports under RIDDOR. If you are an employee (or representative) or a member of the public wishing to report an incident about which you have concerns, please refer to our advice. opens in new window

About where the accident happened

About the severity of the person's injuries 

Please indicate the severity of the injury the injured person sustained.
  • Fatality - if the injured person died as a result of their injuries.
  • Specified injury - if it is a specified injury under the RIDDOR Regulations. This category does not apply to members of the public.
  • Injury preventing the injured person from working for more than 7 days - (This category is only relevant if the injury is not a 'specified injury'.) You must report injuries that lead to a worker being incapacitated for over seven consecutive days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident. This category does not apply to members of the public.
  • Member of the public - the injured person had to be taken straight to hospital from the workplace or was already on hospital premises, and the injury is one of those listed in the 'specified injuries' list. This category does not apply to workers.
Why are some choices unavailable?
Some choices are not available because of information you have already entered in the form (in terms of how the severity of the injury applies under RIDDOR).
Please indicate the severity of the injury the injured person sustained.
*Are you reporting a work-related accident in which someone was either injured or has died?

Injured person's employment status

Please indicate the injured person's employment status.
Member of the public includes school children, users of services, e.g. shoppers, hotel guests, passers-by (i.e. those not involved in the work activity). Volunteers are also classed as members of the public for the purposes of RIDDOR and HSWA, even though they may be engaged in work activity.
Selecting Member of the public restricts the information you may select for the severity of the injury sustained. The 'Occupation description' field does not apply to Members of the Public - the field will auto-populate stating - 'Member of the public - Job title not applicable'.
Provide details of the injured person's employer if you have indicated that they are employed by someone else or on a training scheme.

About the person's injuries

About the Accident

In which local authority did the accident occur?  

Please indicate the local authority area of the address where the accident happened. You need to select the Country first, then the geographical area (England only), and finally the local authority.
Selecting the local authority will help ensure that the appropriate Enforcing Authority (EA) for that area receives the notification.
For local authorities in England, each is allocated to a geographical area. The information is available on 'Find your local council' opens in new window

What type of work was being carried out (generally the main business activity on the premises)?

Enter information on the industry to which the accident should be classified. In most cases this will involve classifying the main activity underway at the site where the accident happened. A key exception to this is when the Injured Person is a mobile worker operating away from their home site. In this case please classify the type of work the mobile worker was undertaking at the time of the accident.
It is estimated that around one third of RIDDOR reports in health and social care are recorded using the incorrect work activity. For further information on coding health and social care RIDDOR reports please refer to the Guidance opens in new window.

About the type of accident

Indicate the work process involved at the time of the accident.
This relates to the process that the injured person was directly involved in when they sustained their injuries and may be different from the main activity carried out at the installation or vessel.
The main factor relates to the underlying cause of the incident which may differ from the kind of accident that you have provided.
For example, a worker receiving an electric shock (main factor = shock) falls from scaffolding (kind of accident = fall from height).
(HSE does not require any personal data to be entered into these text boxes. Please consider what data you are inputting and ensure it does not contain any personal data before you submit the form)

About the Injured Person

Thank you for submitting your RIDDOR form

Your form has been received and has been assigned the reference number . If you wish to keep a copy of the form, please download it using the button below. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY OTHER CONFIRMATION.

Return to RIDDOR home page.

© 2024 - HSE Application | Cookies opens in new window